21. Between

Hooray for Internets!

Since Nook could not spend all day and night with me during my entire visit with her, I had a fair bit of time on my own.  Since hotel television holds no interest for me, I spent my time as I often do, with my computer.  Hey, don’t knock it - you wouldn’t be reading this if it weren’t for the Internet, nor would Nook and Chair have a story to tell without it.

I’m lucky in that much of my work can be accomplished from anywhere on the planet, so a fair bit of my time alone was spent simply doing my job.  In fact, without colleagues appearing next to my desk to interrupt me, I was perhaps at my most productive for weeks by being in a hotel thousands of kilometres away from the office!


You are here.

On one of the evenings after Nook departed, I created this site.  I had no idea how the week would end, no idea what Nook would think, but, there was a story that had to be told.  Our story.  Whilst I am incapable of poetry, I am proficient with prose, and I felt there was enough of an experience here to share and express that doing so made sense.

So far, reactions have been positive.  If you have a comment to make, feel free to do so by emailing us at nookandchair at gmail dot com.

Naturally, as soon as I created the basics of the site, I told Nook, and told her of my intentions.  She was okay with it, and trusted fully that whatever was created would be tasteful and discrete.  I believe that it is, and that still to be the case.



It is fair to say that between the emotional roller-coaster and the jetlag, my sleep whilst visiting with Nook was sub-optimal.  On top of that, I found myself checking my phone for messages from her every 15 to 30 minutes throughout the night.

The ringer was on, and I was constantly checking my inbox.

I wanted to hold her, to have her near me.  I didn’t like not knowing if she was okay, nor what was happening with her “real life” situation.  I wanted to be as available and accessible to her as I possibly could be.

It is a miracle I survived those days with so little sleep, but this was a unique situation and somehow the brain compensates.

In the end, Nook never contacted me in the middle of the night, no SMS messages to let me know she was on her way back, and no emails saying “go away” - it was truly a case of no news being good news in that regard, but, it did not change the fact that I was there, reading, waiting, just in case.

Those moments between the moments that Nook and I were together were the most difficult of all.  As I’ve expressed in other places in our story, there were a lot of things that could have happened, and a lot of ways this encounter could have turned out.  I was prepared for them all, and part of that preparation yielded a week of very little sleep.

It was worth it.